Workflow automation definition
How does workflow automation work?
Workflow automation is based on a series of if/then conditional dependencies that trigger an action sequence. The task scope is divided into several branches depending on the tools, business units or roles that are responsible for the required action.
Depending on whether a workflow can be best described as a structured or unstructured/semi-structured sequence of steps, there are two different workflow design techniques — business process management notation and dynamic cases.
Let’s consider an unstructured workflow created in Creatio using the DCM tool. Unlike structured workflows, unstructured or semi-structured workflows serve as guidelines, rather than step-by-step instructions. They are best designed as a sequence of steps that include a set of tasks called cases. Cases can be executed in a sequence, in parallel, or in no specific order.
The workflow below represents a hardware maintenance routine. At the top of the diagram, there is a sequence of strict steps like that of a structured workflow. In addition, there are transition rules that accompany each step. Unstructured workflows have a set of cases outlined for each step that can be executed in a non-sequential order; there may or may not be specified transition rules between the cases. If there are no restrictions, then it is up to the accountable employees to decide how to better approach the situation on a case-by-case basis.
Here’s how a hardware maintenance workflow can be designed.
Hardware maintenance workflow
How to create and automate workflows using Creatio
Users Love Creatio
Workflow automation examples
Automation software allows you to build forms, design workflows, and track processes, streamlining all your operations, like requests, loans, reimbursements, budget approvals and so on.
- Taking an expense approval process from start to finish
- Managing vendor and contract approvals
- Assigning priorities to ACH and wire requests
- Managing travel expense requests depending on location and activity
- Approving budgets based on a predetermined set of parameters
HR workflow automation helps to streamline employee information input and processing.
- Remove candidates from the database if they’ve been inactive for a period of time
- Send emails to candidates that haven’t made it to the final round
- Filter candidates with certain keywords in their job history
- Send W2s to current employees
- Collect employees’ feedback after they’ve been at the company for a period of time